What could be better than spending time with your parents? How about spending time with them in Australia? There are few things more satisfying in life than being able to bring your parents over to the country you call home. How to bring parents to Australia?

Bringing your parents over for a holiday is a great way to show them some of the fantastic sights and sounds that Australia has to offer, and it can be a lot less expensive than you might think.

It can be a bit of a process, certainly it can be done with a little bit of planning and effort. Here is a guide on how to bring your parents to Australia.

Bring your parents to Australia

Firstly to combat the COVID-19 pandemic spread around Australia, the government has imposed strict international travel restrictions.

However the government has lifted restrictions on travel for immediate family members of an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The exception and conditions still apply, but now you can now bring your parents.

1. How to bring parents to Australia on tourist visa?

Firstly your parents need to apply for the appropriate visa, and have it approved before entering Australia.

Secondly, they need to get an exception approved before entering Australia.

What visa can my parents apply for?

There are different options to enter Australia as a tourist depending on citizenship.

1. eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651) 

Citizens of the following European countries can apply for (Subclass 651)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Vatican City.

Length of stay: Up to three months.

Processing time: Between 1 day and 15 months

Cost: No fee

2. Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601): 

Citizens of the following countries can apply for (ETA)

Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and the United States.

Length of stay: Up to three months

Processing time: Not available

Fee: $20

3. Visitor Visa (subclass 600): 

Citizens of all countries can apply for this visa.

Length of stay: Up to 12 months

Processing time: 13 days to 13 months.

Cost: $145

4. Visitor Visa (subclass 600) Sponsored stream: 

Citizens of all countries can apply for this visa.

Length of stay: Up to 12 months

Processing time: 13 days to 12 months

Cost: $145

How do I apply for parental exemption for Australia?

You can only travel to Australia if you are exempt or have been granted a specific individual exemption.

1. You must submit your request through the Travel Exemption Portal. You will also need to include the appropriate vaccinations and certificates.

Must be submitted at least 2 weeks, but no more than two months prior to intended date of departure.

Select the category:

– ‘I am an immediate family member’

– ‘parent of adult Australian citizen or permanent resident’.

2. Attach documents that will assist the Department with assessing the relationship:

– Birth certificates.

– Citizen or PR Passport details

Bring your parents to Australia

Can I bring my sister with an exemption to Australia?

Certainly, the Australian government has confirmed that immediate family members of citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for a travel exemption include spouses, de facto partners, dependent children or parents.

It doesn’t include other types relationships in the definition for exemptions from their travel restrictions such as: grandparents, brothers, sisters nieces and nephews etc…

Quarantine requirements

All visitors must comply with requirements in the state or territory they arrive. Quarantine and post-arrival testing can be changed at short notice, so it’s important to check before you go! For more information for international travellers click here or to clarify visit the State specific links below:

International travel to and from NSW

Information for overseas travellers Victoria

Advice for international arrivals to Queensland

International arrivals to South Australia

Information about entering WA from interstate or overseas.

Coming to Tasmania

Interstate and international arrivals North Territory

2. How to bring parents to Australia permanently?

If you are looking to bring your parents to Australia for an extended period of time, the Australia parent migration visa permits PR holders or citizens to sponsor a PR visa for their parents.

They are several options available to be able to bring your parents. Starting with three-year visas up to permanent visas.

A. Visitor Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Subclass 870:  

Length of stay: Up to 3 or 5 years

Processing time: 20 months to 21 months


Up to 3 years AUD5,735

Up to 5 years AUD11,470

B. Parent visa (Permanently) subclass 103

Length of stay: Permanent

Processing time: Subject to capping and queueing can take at least 64 months to be released for final processing.

Cost: From AUD4,990

C. Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143)

Length of stay: Permanent

Processing time:

Home affairs estimate visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take at least 64 months. New Parent and Aged Parent visa applications that meet the criteria are queued and in some cases can take up to 30 years.​

Cost: From AUD48,365

3. Health insurance

Most important, health insurance is a strong recommendation for any visa applicant. It’s also wise to purchase health care for any traveller just incase you need it because nothing can be more frightening than finding out that an illness or injury has become life-threatening while abroad.

By having travel insurance, you are covering your parents against health risks. A health insurance plan offers comprehensive coverage against hospitalisation charges.

For example you can use different portals to compare the various policies and choose the most suitable one. Here are some web pages where you can compare: Bupa, HCF, Allianz, Medibank

Above all Australia has a universal healthcare system. Medicare is how Australian citizens and permanent residents (PR) access healthcare. Almost 14 million Australians also have private health insurance so how do you find the right health insurance for you?

About Rocket Remit

Rocket Remit is the worlds fastest international money transfer service. Send money instantly to over 48 overseas countries at very competitive rates.

Use the country selector to choose the country and check the rate.

Click here for more information on how to send money using Rocket Remit.

Related Rocket Remit Articles